Freemark abbey winery case study composition

Download This Paper Check the price for your custom essay

Bill Jaeger, partner and owner of Freemark Abbey Vineyard, has a crop of Riesling grapes that are close to ripening with a conceivable rainstorm approaching. Freemark makes 1, 500 cases per year of Riesling wine, which in turn equates to 12, 000 wine bottles. Mr. Jaeger has to decide on whether to reap the fruit right now or let the fruit get caught in the rainstorm. Every single decision comes with a certain amount of risk. In the event that he bounty the grapes now, he will avoid the rainstorm altogether, and have a respectable type of grape that would get him a good go back on his decision.

However , if perhaps he enables the fruit to remain inside the storm, he has the opportunity to more than three-way his go back if the rainstorm produces a specific type of mildew that allows the grapes to keep more sweets, thereby producing a much higher quality wine. On the other hand, if the mould is certainly not present in the storm, after that he works the risk of oversaturating the vineyard which will result in a slender, lower top quality wine.

Additionally , if this individual does not harvesting the grapes and the tornado does not arrive, Mr. Jaeger has a few more possibilities open to him, all based upon luck. You will find the chance which the grapes will retain 25% of their sweets content and produce a high quality wine. There is also a chance of individuals grapes retaining 20% of their sugar articles and make a lighter wines than the initial, but still over what he’d have if he collected the fruit early. Third, there is a small chance that the grapes can retain lower than 19% with their sugar articles, which will result in a leaner wine that would produce less of a returning than if perhaps he had farmed the grapes early. With the many options, how exactly does Mr. Jaeger come to a decision? It can be helpful to use the flowchart diagram attached to the finish of the research.

Harvest Quickly

Begin with the possibility with the least amount of risk, that is certainly the option to reap. This is the least risky with the options as they knows what he can acquire if he harvested the grapes now. If this individual harvested the grapes right away in their current state, he would be able to promote the wine by $2. eighty five per bottle of wine. $2. 85/bottle * doze, 000 wine bottles = $34, 200

The result is that Mister. Jaeger will make $34, two hundred profit by picking the grapes immediately. You will find no various other alternatives, so the EMV of harvesting immediately is the same as the money ($34, 200).

Do Not Harvest, No Thunderstorm

Now to observe the options available to Mr. Jaeger if this individual decides never to harvest the grapes. There is also a 50-50 possibility that the thunderstorm will actually seem. So at the moment, let us discover what the decisions are available in case the storm will not actually happen. With the thunderstorm not arriving, this continue to allows Mister. Jaeger to leave the grapes on the vine to mature for a longer time, thereby giving them a better quality to make better wine. The proportion chance the grapes maintain 25% with their sugar content material is forty percent, and the same percentage contains for the grapes retaining 20%. The chance that they retain 19% or less, consequently , is twenty percent. The prices where the wine might sell at each sugar content level is as follows: 25%: $3. 50/bottle

20%: $3. 00/bottle

Seem now in the options available to Mr. Jaeger if he decides to never harvest plus the storm does come down in the vineyard. The possibilities that the rainstorm contains the mould that he needs is 40%, while the likelihood which it does not develop the mold can be 60%. Responding to the possibilities offered to Mr. Jaeger if the surprise does not develop the mold, the juice through the grapes will increase by simply 7. five per cent but might thin your wine. Therefore , he can either sell the thinned wine beverages for $2. 00/bottle or perhaps sell the grapes in bulk and help to make about half of what he’d make if perhaps he sold the wine. Every single selection is not a more likely than the other (50-50), so the two possibilities will be as follows: Sell off Wine: $2. 00 * 12, 000 * 1 ) 075 = $25, 800

Sell Grapes in Bulk sama dengan $25, 800 *. 5 = $12, 900

Not option is extremely enticing compared to the other options up to now, but that may be part of the risk. Let us go through the EMV of this particular number of decisions: EMV (Not Enjoying, Storm without having Mold): ($25, 800 *. 5) & ($12, nine hundred *. 5) = $19350

Do Not Collect, Storm Comes, Mold Present

Now, look at the scenario in case the storm truly does come and it does carry the mold with it. This is the most optimistic scenario, since it leads to the best profit. The wholesale selling price for the wine that contains this mold would be $8. 00 per container, but with the caveat that production would actually be thirty percent less due to a reduction in general juice in the grapes. So the profit margin for the grapes that contain the form is as employs: Grapes with Mold: $8. 00 2.. 7 2. 12, 500 = $67, 200

Unsurprisingly, this contains the greatest opportunity for profit. Now that all the potential profits have been completely found for the storm actually happening, it is important to find the overall EMV of this situation. Remember that the chances of the surprise containing the mold was 40%, as the chances of it not having the form was 60 per cent. The result is as follows: EMV (Do Not Pick, Storm Comes): ($67, two hundred *. 4) + ($19, 350 5.. 6) = $38, 490

EMV of Not Collection

Lastly, given that we have accounted for all potential scenarios in the decision to not harvest, the complete EMV with this decision should be madeto observe which alternative is finally the wiser decision. Remember that the chances that the thunderstorm would struck were 50-50, so that is exactly what should be used to figure the whole EMV in the decision not to harvest. The 2 figures that are used come from the EMV’s of the storm happening ($38, 490), as well as the storm not really happening ($37, 200). The result is as follows: EMV (Do not really Harvest): ($38, 490 2.. 5) + (38, 720 *. 5) = $38, 745

Bottom line

In conclusion, you can see that this can be a better decision to take the chance of waiting to harvest to see if the storm comes and brings the mould, as the EMV of this is $3, 645 above the EMV of cropping immediately. The decision does feature higher risk, however the odds are in Mr. Jaeger’s favor that if this individual waits to harvest, then he can make a better profit, or break even about what he’d have made simply by harvesting immediately. It is therefore, my own recommendation that he wait to harvest his grapes to see if the thunderstorm comes, and what comes of the vineyard at that time.


Physical, S. F., Carraway, L. L., Frey Jr., T. C., and Pfeifer, G. E. (1998). Quantitative Business Analysis: Textual content and Circumstances. New York, BIG APPLE: McGraw-Hill Posting.


Need writing help?

We can write an essay on your own custom topics!

Check the Price